Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vacation (Mis)Adventures

For those of you that know my family well you may have heard some of our interesting vacation stories. We definitely don't have the best of luck. Car troubles make up the majority of our vacation misadventures. This includes broken air conditioning in 114 degree weather, a broken passenger window due to drifting off the road, a van totaled in a flash flood, blown tires, missing exits, and other fun stuff associated with road-tripping. All in all these experiences have resulted in some memorable vacations.
Today my family left on our annual summer trip. This vacation is a little bit different than most because it is the first time the whole family has been together in over 4 years. It's kind of a big deal. Plus, it might be a while before we get to go on another family trip together since I leave for Taiwan and who knows where we will all be a year from now. So, we decided to go all out and booked our trip to Hawaii!!
I feel like the initial packing and getting ready for the trip was fairly stress free...

and then we got to the airport and the memorable vacation experiences began.

Our flight out of Salt Lake was delayed, which meant we would miss our connecting flight to Honolulu. We preceded to work with the airlines to find any flight to Hawaii as soon as possible. It looked like we would have to wait until Sunday evening or Monday morning. Needless to say everyone was in low spirits and we were all a little frustrated. I mean this is the biggest vacation that we have ever gone on, and probably ever will go on. I tried to stay positive and my Mom and I worked with an airline attendant and were finally relieved when we found an overnight flight from Las Vegas to Honolulu. Yay! Our vacation was saved!! Unfortunately this didn't mean we wouldn't have any more problems. We all had to exit the terminal and check in and go through security again(fun stuff). It was rather hectic but we were feeling better as we started boarding our flight to Las Vegas, until we discovered that they double booked my brother Rob and my Dad, because they have the same name. 
Are you kidding me?
Seriously, this would happen to my family. Luckily there was room on the plane and everything worked out. We all made it to Las Vegas. I can tell that the stresses of this vacation are already wearing on us but I think we'll pull through. We are now waiting to check in for our flight to Honolulu, which leaves at 1:55 am. We've had our share of troubles so I'm hoping that we will be fortunate enough not to experience any more. 
Wish us luck.


1 comment: