I guess if I have to have an addiction, baking is the way to go right?
I have always liked to bake, but at home it was an occasional, when I had something I really wanted to bake, or when I wanted to try a new recipe type of thing. In all honesty it didn't happen that often. Since I came to Taiwan I have gone a little baking crazy.
I am super lucky because I actually have an oven. This is a rarity in Taiwan. No one has ovens here, except for toaster ovens. I have taken advantage of this fact and since November I have been baking my own bread. Yes, you read that right, for the past 6 months I have not bought bread. I have made my own(except one time, but the bread I bought was stolen shortly after the purchase, but that is a different story). A roommate recommended a recipe she had tried before and I really liked it and that was it, I was hooked. Not only does it taste fantastic but it also prevents me from eating too much because it takes quite up a nice chunk of my time each time I bake it.
My baking addiction does not stop at bread. I have also made pizza, rolls and of course cupcakes! I may have had a cupcake addiction before, a happy side effect of my dear baking friend Jacque. I have made cupcakes at least 5 times since moving here. Most recently I made snickers peanut butter brownies, caramel popcorn, peanut butter oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip cookies. Now I am going to brag a little bit because everything that I have made I had to make from scratch. No cake mixes available here. I did it all on my own, which is something I have never done before. It has been fun to experiment with new recipes and finding ones that I really like and ones that are okay but that aren't on my list to make again.
Here are some pictures of some of my food adventure this semester.
This looks amazing! I am so impressed. I miss you!
ReplyDeleteI hate you in the most loving way possible. Please remind me of this when we Skype.
ReplyDeletei miss your baking and i agree that its a pretty good addiction to have. I MISS YOU
ReplyDeletehttp://caitshea.blogspot.com/